Having a healthy and balanced eating habit is key in reducing the risk of developing diseases such as diabetes, osteoporosis, cardiovascular diseases, and, above all, are certain types of cancer. And as we know, healthy eating habits are very beneficial to maintain a correct state of general health and improve recovery in case of illness. There is a relation between food and cancer, and we will tell you everything we know.
So What is the best diet for cancer patients? There is no general diet indicated for all patients because each person is different and their pathological situation too.
Ideally, we can follow a healthy and balanced diet in which fresh fruits and vegetables, legumes, fish, olive oil, and in which there is no high consumption of red and processed meats. And follow the foundations of the Mediterranean diet. And according to a study, this diet is associated with a 30% reduction in the risk of some types of cancer, especially breast cancer.
Food and cancer: What are the dietary recommendations in the case of cancer?
These are the beneficial keys in case of cancer:
Fruits and vegetables:
They provide fiber and certain vitamins and minerals, which are essential for the proper functioning of the body
These are essential during cancer treatment as they allow the body to recover more quickly and fight infections.
Milk and dairy products:
They provide vitamins, minerals, and are the best source of calcium.
Fats provide energy, but should not account for more than 20-30% of daily calories. Red meat and processed products should be avoided.
Cereals provide a large number of carbohydrates, which are a great source of energy for the body. Choose them High fiber foods.
It should be noticed during the treatment or in the recovery phase that diet may vary since the nutritional requirements at each stage are special and depend on the type of treatment and the side effects that appear. But the dietary recommendations are as follows:
- Divide the meals into 6-8 small daily meals.
- Avoid flatulent, fried, fatty, and intense odors.
- Drink water in small doses (2-3 liters daily).
- Serve balanced foods, in a quiet environment and eat together to create a pleasant atmosphere.
- Control the weight and perform some physical exercise adapted to the situation of the patient and their tastes. It is not important to force any patient.
If in doubt, it is best to consult with the doctor to receive the best advice and recommendations.
And for more complicated cases?
Living with cancer is not always easy. The cancer diagnosis is followed by treatments in recovery time. It is a stage that each patient lives in a different way in which they can feel discomfort and symptoms that affect proper nutrition, swallowing, appetite is lost. Thus, many patients suffer vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, and these specific situations must act in a particular way.
- Nausea and vomiting: to eliminate them, you must reduce the intake of fats and fried with an intense smell. It is also important to reduce anxiety, so it is advisable to perform some exercise that allows you to release tension.
- Constipation: Exercise and adequate fiber intake help manage the illness. It is recommended to consume fruits (plums, raisins, kiwis, orange juices), whole grains, vegetables, and legumes, and avoid fats.
- Diarrhea: the most important thing to treat diarrhea is to maintain hydration based on acidic, lemonade, and non-carbonated drinks. A soft, acidic diet that helps restore the body will also be critical.
- Irritation of the mouth: proper oral hygiene is essential, recommending a dental check-up before treatment. In general, a liquid or semi-liquid diet with cold cream of crushed fruits avoiding irritating foods can be beneficial.
- Dry mouth: it is a common effect in patients receiving radiotherapy on mucous membranes due to atrophy of the salivary glands. It is advisable to drink soft and juicy foods and low acid drinks (at least 2 or 3 liters of water a day). It is also advisable to rinse your mouth frequently and drink ice cream.
- Pain: The best way to relieve general pain is to take painkillers before eating, if necessary.
- Early satiety: to end it, small shots are recommended several times a day.
Food is essential to stand up to cancer and other diseases and is the fastest and most efficient way to live a healthy life, so take note of these foods that will help you live longer and better.